Thursday, November 24, 2005

For these things I give thanks...


(Third post - let's see if my post shows up this time!)

In the United States, we celebrate Thanksgiving Day today. It is a day set aside to give thanks for the blessings and things we have in our lives. It began hundreds of years ago with the Pilgrims who first came to our great country - having a feast with their new friends, the Amerian Indians, and giving thanks for their new home, community, religious freedoms and the opportunities now available to them.

I have so many things to give thanks for this season (and everyday for that matter). Here is a short list..

  • I have Steve. He is my husband. I am his wife. We are in love - and though it is new, it is ours.
  • Steve and I both have our health. While we both have our medical challenges, we are both healthy, mobile, and mentally coherent.
  • We have the freedom to choose our religious beliefs.
  • Steve and I both have fruitful jobs. Our employers may present challenges from time to time, but currently we are both gainfully employed.
  • We have a beautiful comfortable home (though the spare room is still loaded with boxes) that gives us shelter from the outside world.
  • We have all of our "needs" taken care of.
  • We live in a country which grants us so many freedoms.
  • We have LOTS and LOTS of family - who all love and support us in everything we do! They really do!
  • We have great friends who we enjoy spending time with - and who are there for us when/if an immediate need arises.
  • I'm thankful for the people I've met all over the world as I pursue my papercrafting love. I'm grateful for all of the students and now friends I've met over the course!
  • I'm grateful for a Father in Heaven who loves me (and Steve) despite my faults.
  • I'm SOOOOO thankful that my mother is such an incredible cook, and that she shared this talent and skill with me (see Mom, I did cook Thanksgiving Dinner this year! I have the photo to prove it!). I'm thankful that my family ate (normally) my creative concoctions - and that they continued to encourage me. I'm also VERY grateful that my parents allowed me the choice to take the years of cooking classes - and supported me financially through it.
  • I'm thankful for my mind (although crazed at times), body (although gravity has started to take effect... YIKES!), and strength (even though Steve can out strength me ... grrr).

I have SO much to be thankful for. I am a blessed girl, a girl who loves her husband, a girl who loves who loves her life...I will sleep well tonight.If you are reading this I hope your day was filled with gratitude.

Love,
~ heather (& Steve)

No comments: