Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Freddy's Two Week Checkup

This is a very detailed message intended for Fred's grandparents, but anyone is welcome. 

Today is two weeks from Fred's arrival into this world! WOW... 14 days... it seems so fast already! I can totally imagine how some parents say that the time flies by from when they're babies! YIKES!

Today was also Fred's two week check up with the pediatrician and everything is dandy. He weighed in at 9lbs, 3 ounces, which is just under a pound gained since his last appointment a few days after we were released from the hospital, and he is now 22 1/4" long. That puts him into the 75% for is weight,  height, and head size. I think that's probably a good thing, but I really don't know or understand the whole % thing for growth. His jaundice is gone (he had slight jaundice), his umbilical cord stump has come off (and has healed into what looks like an 'innie') and his 'circ' has healed (and the nurse even complimented him on it - should I be happy that nurses notice this part of his anatomy??!!?). As long as the pediatrician is happy and says we're doing the right thing and he's happy - we're happy.

Fred is eating about 5 times a day, and between 3 and 4 ounces each time. His sleeping schedule is backwards, and we're going to begin working on a few suggestions from his pediatrician (i.e,.  working with him to keep him up longer, etc). His diapers are right on schedule and everything is moving as it should.

His hair is definitely dark blonde - which means I win! Woo Hoo! (Mom and I debated as to whether his hair was dark brown like Steve's or dark blonde like mine - and Grandpa Russ's.) It's the ONLY thing I can take any credit for being right about. His eye color is still undetermined but we suspect they'll be blue or hazel. His eyelashes are currently blonde, as are his eye brows. 

Fred definitely resembles the Ales/Dempsey side of our family. He has an adorable dimple in his chin like his Dad, Uncle Thomas, and Grandpa Russ. He is fussy and likes things done his way like his Daddy too.

We've had a few diaper episodes which I'm sure you'll find humerous - at least I do! One, is that I seem to have a knack for changing his diaper mid "movement". We've often referred to it as his playdough machine. Gross I know, but what do you expect from my family? 

The other funny thing is that Steve had the joy of experiencing boy fountains - if you know what I mean. Of course, this means I got the joy of finding the stream path and getting it all cleaned up. Steve did a nice job of getting what he noticed, but he's a man... seriously he couldn't see it all. At least Fred missed the wall - that's something to be happy for!

Steve somehow managed to pull his back last night around 3:30am - after I had put the baby together at 2am. So, I'm running on little to no sleep which is great training for when Steve goes back to work on the 5th. Of course, we'll get Fred into his schedules and patterns just in time for me to go back to work and him into daycare which will pull it all off again. Great - something wonderful to look forward to (said incredibly sarcastically!).

Two weeks. Gosh. Two whole weeks! We find new things about him every day to love and remember. We've both commented on how much we love his facial expressions and little personality. I can't wait to see what his progress is at his next check up!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Glad to hear everything's going as it should! It's a really fun time, isn't it? :) I'll bet he's so darn cute!

Heather said...

Sounds like you guys are doing a great job! And I will NEVER forget the diaper incident when I was at the house!! lol We need to get together... I feel like I haven't seen or talked to you in forever!

Thankful Terri said...

Welcome to motherhood. I think it is funny that others have diaper issues too. My husband laughs everytime the little devil does her duty. Never thought you would be blogging about your little ones bowel and fountain issues? Genevieve likes to stiffen up and laugh when she does her duty.
You may want to invest in the pee pee tee pee ( I even found them w/ air planes on them). I have heard they work.

Good luck - he is such a cute guy.