Monday, September 12, 2005

My Challenge: Finding the Perfect Dress

When planning a wedding in only 6 weeks, many of the normal tasks must be completed on a highly accelerated schedule. For instance, finding a wedding dress. Normally, a bride will take weeks, months, even years to select the perfect dress for her wedding. Now, I've always had an idea of what I wanted in my perfect dress. I've always envisioned myself in a white, empire waisted, short sleeved, scooped neckline, floor length gown. The bodice and sleeves would be beaded with thousands of brilliant Swarovski crystals, and it would be a gown fit for a princess - and certainly any bride! My dress most certainly would not have any lace, lace frills, bows, lace inlets, flowers, hearts, or pearls. See, I'm not particular at all!

However, upon visiting 9 of the bridal shoppes located in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, I soon came to realize that I was the only one with my vision. Of the 9 shoppes, 7 of them did not have a single dress with short sleeves. I'm in the middle of a sleeveless/strapless dress revolution. I started calling shoppes to see if they even had something like what I was looking for (or even a dress with short sleeves at all) when we went to the 8th store. The 8th shoppe had a few dresses, and one was absolutely beautiful - but, it just wasn't me. Before we gave up, we found a shoppe that was only about a mile from my house that carried bridal dresses (www.lynnesbridal.com). It's a TINY, hole in the wall place, but they had a room (about the size of my cubicle at work) that had bridal dresses. We found one that was empire waisted, and another one that Christa thought was beautiful - but I thought it was way too small (size 12). I humored her, and we took both dresses into the dressing room. She had me try on the empire waisted dress. Most brides know the moment they see themselves in the dress that it is the dress for thier wedding. This was not one of those moments. Suddenly, I felt pregnant. It was a lovely dress - if I wanted to have a vintage (think of the movie Emma) wedding. Soooo NOT me. We laughed and I put the next dress on.

This was the dress. It is not what I had in mind at all. But, once I had it on - it was perfect for me. And shock of shocks... the size 12 fit. It fit me. ME. IT FIT ME! I almost cried! This formerly BBW (big beautiful woman) was going to get married in a size 12 dress (and not to rub it in but wedding dresses are normally 2 sizes bigger than your normal size I am not a size 10, but one can always dream right?) Well, it fit except for a few minor alterations that will be done - I am 5'4" you know. It's a lovely dress. The bodice is embroidered with swirls. It's beaded with pearls in the shape of flowers (I recind the pearls and flowers comment from the first paragraph above). It's floor length and has a chapel length train that will bustle with in only one place. It has short sleeves, and a scoop neck. The back is lower than I would have liked, but it looks great and I'll have an insert created for our ring ceremony/wedding reception next year so that I feel more comfortable. It's a fabulous dress and I can't wait to wear it for OUR special day!

I looked ALL weekend to find a photo online of it (the tags are gone from the dress) but couldn't find one. Which I suppose is a good thing. Steve isn't going to see it until our wedding day, and even though he doesn't comment (something in common with most of you!) he reads the blogs (mine and ours) religiously.

~ heather

1 comment:

Heather said...

Isnt' that the coolest feeling when you're standing in that room full of mirrors and it just hits you... it's really happening! Have fun!!
~H