Monday, February 04, 2013

Dear Freddy (On Your 4th Birthday)...

December 17th, 2012

Dear Freddy,

Dude! You're 4! FOUR! How did that happen?!?!? I mean, seriously, there are some days where I feel it was just last week that we brought you home and yet four years have passed us by.

Unbelievable. People told me this would happen - that time would pass by in a blink. Honestly, I wasn't sure if they were right.

I won't lie. There have been days over the last 4 years where I wished it would happen. I haven't been a perfect parent. We've both flared our tempers. Fortunately, far more often our love has been bigger.

You are a delightfully talkative and active little boy.

If you could really read, you would correct me and say that you're not a little boy. You're a BIG boy. So, excuuuuse me. You're a delightfully talkative and active BIG boy.

This year you've grown a lot! You're 46 inches tall and weigh 53 pounds. That would be the size of an average 6 year old in the United States. Your daddy keeps telling me that you're going to slow down on the growing part. 4 years later, and I'm still waiting for it to happen! You're almost past my elbows, so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if you're almost as tall as me by Kindergarten!

Right now you are SUPER into Transformers, Rescue Bots, Super Heroes, Lego's and games on the Wii (Excite Truck and MarioCart). You have to "read" books before we let you have computer gaming time, and right now you're okay with that.

You are officially potty trained during the day, but still wear pull-ups at night. We're both working on the night time potty's but you've done a great job with the day time.

There was a BIG change to your life this year... you got a little sister - Charleigh! Fortunately, you adore her! (Well, for the most part!) You adore her so much in fact, that you often tell me that someday she'll be your "love". It's super sweet to hear you say because we realize you're probably not going to feel that way in a few years. You adore loving on her, and telling us the things she is "saying". It's really quite comical - especially when you tell us that she wants you to have a treat or a special snack. You are an awesome big brother! You are our "sanitation engineer" and take pride in getting me clean diapers or putting her used ones into the garbage can. You really do enjoy just being around her; giving her hugs and kisses. I wish it would always be this great!

You attend preschool two days a week at Fellowship Friends preschool at the Methodist church in Trophy Club and LOVE it! Ms. Tammi is your teacher, and you have 8 other kids in your class. When I ask you what you did in school, on our way home, you normally tell me "nufin", but if I ask you probing questions you'll tell me about gym time with Mr. Shawn, or music time with Ms. Kelli, or Spanish, chapel, centers, playground, lunch, snack, art time, and even quiet/nap time. You never ever fall asleep during nap time, but you do lay quietly and look at books. Your favorite thing to do after school is get a slushy at Sonic. (Fortunately, it's "Happy Hour" when you get out of school so drinks are half off!).

You do go up to your room each non-school day for "quiet time" but rarely do you take a nap. The goal during quiet time is for you to stay in your room and be quiet for an hour. You don't have to sleep, but you do have to be quiet. Generally, you're not quiet by any stretch of the imagination, but you do stay in there. (I'll be honest, quiet time is mostly for me!).

This year, you graduated to a "big boy" bed! Your room is in the middle of being redecorated from vintage planes to super heroes. You are SUPER excited about the change! :)

This year you're still taking swimming lessons, and you do a GREAT job during class. But, when we're with friends, you tend to forget how to swim because you're SO excited to play with the big(ger) kids. We still keep an eye on you. I doubt I'll ever stop!

You love music, singing, and dancing.You do not enjoy coloring with crayons, but you do with chalk and paint. You LOVE playing at the park and often give the local parks special names. Sometimes it is a challenge figuring out which park you're asking to go to, but we generally figure it out.

Your bed time is at 7:30pm each night, and often you're up until 8 or 8:30pm. You normally wake up around 7:30am. I love that you love your sleep!

You have lots of friends, and often refer to each of them as your "best" friend. I love that you love your friends so much! However, you don't love sharing so much. It makes playdates a challenge (but one that is still age appropriate.)

Your favorite foods and drinks are... goldfish, cereal bars, chicken nuggets, pork chops, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, hot dogs, milk, cherry tomatoes, celery (because the Super Pets eat it!), oatmeal, waffles, fruit snacks, oranges and apples, juices, mashed potatoes, and "squishy" bread (Hawaiian Rolls). You love McDonalds. I wish it was for their play area, but alas, it's for the toys that come in the Happy Meals. One time you told me that they're called Happy Meals because they make your heart happy. (Duh! Mom! Sheeesh!)

I love being your "Mudder" and I can't imagine my life without you!

I love you more than the sun, the moon, and the stars! (and... since you add them... more than diet coke and chocolate too!)

Happy Birthday Sweet Boy!
Mommy

No comments: