Thursday, November 10, 2005

Words of Wisdom from my little sister, Bekki

My little sister Bekki (aka Crab, Boo-Boo, Becca, Rooba-Hoo, or whatever crazy name I came up with at the time) had a birthday yesterday. I'll never be able to forget how old she is, because she's only 9 months, 3 weeks, and 5 hours younger than I am. Today, as we were chatting about how she celebrated, about kids, and about life in general, she shared some sage advice with me.

Bekki and Shaun have been married for almost 5 years (it will be 5 years on December 21st). They now have 3 adorable children whom I adore (Arissa, Micheal, and Ainsley). Her words of wisdom are:

Get used to it.
Get over it.
It's not going to change.

How's that for a happy thought? I wasn't complaining about the adjustments involved with married life, I was simply telling her the fun stories about things we've experienced. One of these days, I'll make Steve sit down and post an update to our blog. But, until he does, you get to have the fun of MY side! Here are a few of the "fun" stories I shared with Bekki-Boo:
  • Why is it that we can have two bins to put dirty clothes into, but Steve doesn't seem interested in using either of them?
  • Why is it that I bought a shower organizer (the kind that hang over the shower door) that has hooks on the back to dry our towels from, and he hangs his towel over his clean hanging clothes in our closet?
  • I woke up early the other day, and it was one of his off days. I have a process each morning after I wake up. I get up (sometimes before my alarm, sometimes when the alarm wakes me up, and sometimes after hitting snooze a few times on the alarm), go potty, and then I stumble over to my computer and check my email accounts, bank accounts, and friends blogs. Steve was awake before I got up and was in super spaz mode. Doesn't he understand that in my world it is 6am, and I'm not coherent yet?

Married life IS good. It's only been two weeks (well two weeks and 5 days to be precise), but I think we're adjusting okay so far. I hear that the first year is the year of adjustments, and that we should expect a bit of difficulty as we adjust to living with each other and how we each operate. I would have thought that dating for more than a year would teach us everything we need to know about each other - but thats what I get for doing my own thinking, eh?

It's a good thing we love each other!

~heather (& Steve)

No comments: